Hypertext narrative

Life Is What You Make it.

Life Is What You Make it.

A hypertext narrative by

Estelle Bergeron

Created with

The Virtual Writing Tutor Grammar Checker

Next

Word count: 1692

Choice count: 29

Section count: 23

Image count: 23

Error count: 4

Field Related Analysis

Education : 84 matches

(adult, behaviour, cegep, choice, class, classes, detention, field, first, games, graduate, high school, learn, learned, report, school, school psychologist, semester, social, student, students, teacher, training, university)

Nursing : 30 matches

(absence, adult, anorexia, anxiety, b.d., clinic, clinical, conflict, consent, contact, crisis, depression, fit, gas, hr, im, lead)

Dance : 28 matches

(back, balance, kick, lead, out, shows, social, through)

Target Structure: (18 matches)

come in handy (1 match)

dead-end job (1 match)

dreading (1 match)

hinder (1 match)

hr (2 matches)

internship (3 matches)

invaluable (1 match)

learn the ropes (1 match)

leave of absence (3 matches)

mortgage (1 match)

on-the-job-training (1 match)

overtime (1 match)

purpose (1 match)

retirement (1 match)

setting aside (1 match)

sexual harassment (1 match)

corruption (1 match)

bribed (1 match)

Next

Life Is What You Make it.

The Start of my Adult life.

I am 20 years old and I just graduated from CEGEP Ahuntsic in Social Science. I don't know what to do with life. Everyone around me is advising different things but I don't want to listen to them. I finally have a chance to decide what I want to do for once. Since I was a little kid, my parents have decided everything for me. I really want to move out of their house to get a kick start of my adult life. However, I don't know where to go to prepare for my first semester in Psychology at Laval University.

Choice 1 : I stay at my parent's house.

Choice 2 : I move out and find an apartment in Montreal.

Adulting

I stay at my parent's house.

I'm considering getting a part-time job to set money aside and eventually move out. I don't want to live with my parents forever!

Choice 1 : I got a part-time job as a receptionist at a psychology clinic.

Choice 2 : I got a job as an assistant for my father's colleague.

Economies

I move out and find an apartment in Montreal.

Living in an apartment in Montreal can be really pricey, I'm debating on getting a roommate or not. It would help pay the bills and potentially make a new friend or live alone and finally have the intimacy I was craving at home.

Choice 1 : I decided to live with a roommate.

Choice 2 : I chose to live alone.

The cost of moving out

I decided to live with a roommate.

After putting a Facebook add, I met someone who was willing to move in with me. Turns out, she was also a student at Laval University! We decided to celebrate our new apartment with pizzas, but we heard that there was going to be a huge party tonight. I'm debating if I should go, considering that classes start tomorrow. I also heard it was a great way to fit in with a new crowd.

Choice 1 : I went to bed early.

Choice 2 : I went to the party.

Roommate

I chose to live alone.

I was so excited to be alone! I couldn't wait to start putting my things everywhere and cook for myself, but after a few months, I ran out of money and couldn't pay my rent... My landlord said he would kick me out if I didn't leave by the end of the month.

Choice 1 : I stay at my parent's house.

Choice 2 : I start from scratch in a new country and I volunteer abroad.

reality

I got a part-time job as a receptionist at a psychology clinic.

I love this job! I'm making connections with people who work in the field I'm interested in and I constantly learn new things. Today, I learned that anorexia is sometimes related to an obsessive-compulsive disorder. At dinner, sometimes my colleagues gossip with each other. I don't want to hinder but I really want to fit in with these people.

Choice 1 : Gossip with them.

Choice 2 : Stay out of it.

receptionnist

I got a part-time job as an assistant for my father's colleague.

As an assistant, I really didn't do anything related to psychology which got pretty boring eventually worked overtime. After a while, my boss started to trust me, and he gave me his agenda. When I looked at it noticed some pretty sketchy stuff... He was part of a corruption system and his job was to threaten people who couldn't be bribed with money. Should I contact the police?

Choice 1 : Go to the police.

Choice 2 : Tell my dad.

Assistant

I went to the party.

I got so drunk at the party, I missed my alarm for school. I smell like vodka, and I am wearing my pyjamas to class because I didn't have time to change. My teacher was not happy with me at all because he knew about the party last night. He didn't know I was there, I could lie my way out of detention...

Choice 1 : Be honest with him.

Choice 2 : Manipulate him.

Party time

I went to bed early.

I wanted to start the year right, but I was kind of sad that I missed the party. I don't want to study my whole life without hanging with my friends and finish in a dead-end job like majority of people. I love psychology but I'm considering dropping out before it even started. Talk about a life crisis!

Choice 1 : Take a gap year.

Choice 2 : Go to class.

Life crisis

I start from scratch in a new country and I volunteer abroad.

I really want to make a difference in this world, and have a purpose to live. I am in Costa Rica volunteering as right-hand man to a school psychologist in high school. He is amazing and shows me in-dept everything I need to know about this job. This time in Costa Rica in invaluable I think I want to finish my studies and move here.

Choice 1 : Move to Costa Rica.

start from nothing

Go to the police.

I made the right decision. The policemen told me that this man was a criminal and addicted to drugs. He would be arrested and put in jail but the policeman assured me that he would seek treatment and therapy.

Write a choice here.

Arrest

Tell my dad.

My dad felt betrayed. His own coworker was involved in illegal stuff. He caught him stealing a while ago but he thought this problem was solved. He told me we should call the police even thought it hurts him to do it.

Choice 1 : Go to the police.

Heartfelt talk

Be honest with him.

My teacher said he really appreciated my honesty. As it turns out, honesty is a key word in psychology. You need to be honest with your patients and yourself. After class, he told me that social norm won't get me very far, but he understood that I needed to live my youth. After a while, I became his favorite student. I was very passionate to succeed, and he wanted to congratulate me, so he offered me an internship at his clinic to assist some therapy session and confer with him to psychoanalyst a client.

Choice 1 : Accept his internship.

confession

Manipulate him.

I made up this story how my car ran out of gas but my teacher saw right through it. He specialized with persuasion and takes honesty really seriously. He told me to get out of his class and to never come back. I need this class to graduate. Should I go talk to him?

Choice 1 : Be honest with him.

Choice 2 : Leave it alone.

lying

Take a gap year.

I don't know if I should expand my horizons and travel or work a little bit and save money. This choice is really difficult for me because it opposes my values.

Choice 1 : I start from scratch in a new country and I volunteer abroad.

Choice 2 : I got a part-time job as an assistant for my father's colleague.

values

Go to class.

I know that starting a new semester can be really difficult. I shouldn't worry, everything is going to be okay in the end! I trust my myself and other to lead me in the right career path for me. My roommate and I are best friends now, and we help each other balance our social and school life.

Write a choice here.

Happy life

Move to Costa Rica.

After a few years, I found the perfect job me as a school counselor in a high school. I help students with a variety of their problems like mental distress or self-esteem issues. I am setting aside money for my retirement in hopes to pay my mortgage. I really love my job I don't think the drive for work will ever go away.

Write a choice here.

Costa Rica

Accept his internship.

My teacher told me I was going to get the best on-the-job-training and it would come in handy for when I graduate. I was starting to learn the ropes and I quickly realized that this job is meant for me. I worship my teacher and hope I will have an impact on others as he did for me.

Write a choice here.

My new job

Stay out of it.

I didn't want to play their toxic games. I preferred to focus on my job and make the best out of a bad situation. I thought I could escape from their mean girls club by going out to lunch, but they hated that I didn't want to hang out with them. I was now their target. I was dreading coming to work because I knew everyone hated me. The men started to flirt with me without my consent and it gradually transformed into sexual harassment. I was young and scared, I didn't know if I could tell anyone. I decided to go to HR because their behaviour caused me anxiety and depression. The HR person gave my two choices.

Choice 1 : Take a leave of absence.

Choice 2 : Report him to the police.

misconduct

Leave it alone.

My teacher kicked me out of the class for good because he said that I was old enough to know how to solve a conflict, especially if I want to be a clinical psychologist. I have to retake the class next semester.

Write a choice here.

I am annoyed

Gossip with them.

I turned out to be the person I hate. Fitting in is not worth it, I would rather be myself and alone than fake and surrounded. I quit.

Write a choice here.

Quitting

Take a leave of absence.

He advised me to take a leave of absence. I refuse to let my story get swept under the rug. I will stand up for myself and every other girl who has been mistreated.

Choice 1 : Go to the police.

Standing up

Report him to the police.

I decided that my aggressor needed to be held accountable. I couldn't imagine him doing it to other girls.

Choice 1 : Go to the police.

Women power

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hypertext narrative

A Beginner's Psychology Glossary